Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Where's my mouse?

O.K. This type of thinking is right up my alley. Here are my thoughts: My mother (78) can not sit in any room of our house without the television on. My granddaughter is being homeschooled, so the television is not turned on in the living room at all during the day and only on certain nights (The Office, ER, Ghost Hunters and Most Haunted). Therefore, my mother is "forced" to perch on the corner of her bed watching a small screen most of the day. It would never occur to her, or others of her generation for that matter, to engage in another form of activity. I can remember a time (when I was in high school ,a century ago) that only hippie households were without television and we would make fun of them. I am thankful that we can now pull away from the idiot box for some part of the day and engage in more stimulating activities. I enjoy the challenge of devising educational and exciting uses for the cognitive surplus we now find at our homestead. So, here's to turning off the television and turning on!

No comments: